Sometimes taxpayers with IRS or State tax problems decide to face the IRS or State on their own. Sometimes they hire a professional like an attorney or EA, even a CPA, but not someone who specializes in tax resolution. The best thing to do when faced with tax problems is to hire a CPA that is an expert in tax resolution, so you can get the best result possible.
Even if you owe $10,000 or less, have all your income tax returns filed and are able to pay the amount due over 36 months with a guaranteed monthly Installment Agreement (payment plan), it is good to pay a small fee to have a professional set it up for you.
Here are the top 5 reasons why hiring a CPA Tax Resolution Specialist is the smart thing to do if you have tax problems with the IRS or State:
- Utilizing a CPA tax resolution specialist decreases the chances of rejection from a tax resolution program. Additionally, clients typically have lower payments and settlements compared to taxpayers without representation.
- Contrary to popular belief, you DO have rights as a taxpayer that you probably don’t even know exist. One of those rights is the right to representation. If an IRS revenue officer or agent calls or visits you, did you know you are under no obligation to answer any of their (very intrusive and condescending) questions? You politely respond by asking for their contact information and telling them you are in the process of hiring a professional to represent you. A CPA that specializes in tax resolution for a living knows the ‘ins and outs’ and how to deal with the IRS so that your rights are protected. A professional tax resolution specialist also knows how to get you the lowest possible settlement. Generally, our clients never meet or speak with the IRS once we are on the case!
- If you owe between $10,000 and $200,000+, the IRS has many NEW flexible programs available to taxpayers such as: Offer in Compromise, Partial Pay Installment Agreements, Payment Plans, Penalty Reduction, and Currently Not Collectible Status to name a few. Each of these programs has its own unique process, procedures and qualifications. Having an experienced tax resolution professional in your corner ensures you are taking advantage of the best options available to you and using the best strategy to pay the least amount allowed by law. Not all settlements are the same.
- Having unfiled tax returns qualifies for getting professional help (on average our clients have more than three years of unfiled returns). Not filing legally required tax returns when due is considered a federal misdemeanor which carries with it a $10,000 fine and potential jail time. Typically the IRS won’t throw you in jail unless the taxpayer is deemed to owe a lot of money and is uncooperative about getting the returns filed. Hiring a professional tax resolution specialist to represent you is the smartest move you can make here!
- If you are being audited or about to be, the IRS will ask you about 50 very intrusive questions in the initial interview with them. How you answer these initial interview questions will dictate the fate of your case. Having a professional tax resolution specialist conduct these meetings, without you present, is the best course of action. Half of the referrals to the IRS Criminal Investigation Division (CID) come from that seemingly nice person you are sitting across the table from at the audit.
One Last Thing
Ask yourself this question: Would you go to court without a lawyer? If you answered ‘yes’ then hopefully you know the law inside and out concerning your case; however, if representing yourself doesn’t seem like a good idea, it is best to hire somebody who is well versed in the subject matter. It is the same thing with IRS and State tax problems. Having Strategic Tax Resolution to negotiate and deal with the IRS or State may be the best money you’ve ever spent! Call us at 888-339-4914 for a free consultation.