Help with Unfiled IRS and State Tax Returns

If a taxpayer neglects to file their taxes every year, the IRS will file a tax return for them using a Substitute for Return (SFR). These filings usually do not contain many of the tax deductions or credits a taxpayer may qualify for. Getting help with unfiled tax returns, avoiding SFRs, may also help to lower tax debt.

When the IRS sends a “Notice of Demand for Payment” letter, it is an opportunity for a taxpayer to make arrangements for repayment of the tax debt before any IRS collection actions are taken. If a taxpayer fails to reach an agreement with the IRS, the IRS will commence collections. 

The IRS has the authority to take collection actions against a taxpayer’shelp with unfiled tax returns, strategic tax resolution wages, bank account, property, and assets when a taxpayer has an outstanding tax debt. It is crucial that all taxpayers are fully up-to-date on all their filings.

Strategic Tax Resolution can help with unfiled IRS and State tax returns. We are experienced with the look back periods and how to replace substitute tax returns (SFRs) filed by the taxing authority.

For example, the IRS typically only requires for a taxpayer to file the last six years of tax returns.  There are a few exceptions but the last thing you want to do is increase your tax debt by filing tax returns that were not required.

Strategic Tax Resolution is experienced with helping different taxpayers – such as W2 employees, self-employed filers, independent contractors, and small businesses – file all past years to lower or possibly eliminate a tax debt.

Frequently Asked Questions About Unfiled Tax Returns

Each year the IRS publishes something called the “Publication 17” which contains information about those who need to file taxes. Filing requirements depend on your age, filing status, income, and other small factors.

If a person does not file a tax return, the IRS has the ability to charge 5% of your tax due as a penatly. This penalty charge is assessed each month and can climb up to the maximum penalty fine of 25%. In the worst case scenario you may face jail time and fines of up to $25,000.

If you have lost your W-2’s or 1099’s call the business or organization that would have these forms on file. Most companies and organizations have these records on file for at least seven years. If you cannot contact your employer contact the IRS directly and ask for a wage and income transcript.

The IRS will send you a notice in the mail at the last address they have on file for you. This letter is reminder that you need to file your taxes and that you may have a balance due when you file. From there you may receive a letter stating that you must file your taxes within 30 days.

If a person does not file their taxes, the IRS may complete a substitute for return on your behalf. These returns usually assess a person as a higher tax liability.

Technically if you do not owe the IRS, you do not need to file. However this means that you may lose out on your refund and face other consequences that have been stated above.

No, tax penalties are not deductible on tax returns.

Yes you can always file a tax return late, but only through the mail. You may also receive a penalty for filing your taxes late.

No, you will need to use the tax form for the year that you are filing. You can find most of these forms by visiting the Internal Revenue Service website.

To schedule a consultation with Strategic Tax Resolution please call our main office line (888) 339-4914 or visit our Contact Us page.